When you enroll in an engineering college and decide to pursue a career in architecture, the first thing you want to do is get the best laptops for architecture students to complete all academic tasks and assignments. As a young student or a fresh graduate, you want a computer that can manage all the load of software and applications needed to be installed.
Also, for the best laptop, affordability will be one of your prime concerns. Students of architecture can complete projects in the best way through proper drafts for drafting, planning, and making calculations and models.
List of Best Laptops for Architecture Students 2020
- ASUS VivoBook 15
- Microsoft Surface Laptop 3
- New Apple MacBook Pro
- Acer Aspire 5
- Omen by HP
- ASUS VivoBook
- HP ZBook 15
- Acer Aspire E 15
Currently, if you go hunting for some good laptops for your architecture program, you will see that the market is flooded with options. You will want to look for a laptop that is the best according to your requirements as a student of architecture.
You want a high-end laptop, keeping feasibility and utility in mind. If you want value for money, then read on as this article will help to make the right decision in selecting the best laptops for a career in architecture.
14 Best Laptops For Architecture Students
For students of architecture, many laptops are available. However, you need a powerful laptop that can save time in completing drafts and downloading software. Given below is a list of the top laptops for architecture students:
Reviews of Best Laptops For Architecture Students
1. ASUS VivoBook 15
- 15.6 inch Full HD (1920x1080) 4-way NanoEdge bezel display...
- Compatible with Google Classroom; run Google Classroom on...
- Latest 10th Gen Intel Core i3-1005G1 CPU (4M Cache, up to...
VivoBook 15 by Asus is a lightweight, high performing laptop that is equipped by a powerful and consistent battery.
It offers all the essential features that are available in high-end laptops. It is probably a less expensive version of the ZenBook S.
- ErgoLift hinge feature available
- Thin bezel design
- Different color options available
- 720p built-in webcam
- Fingerprint reader for identification
- The powerful processor gives a lag-free performance
The laptop's ErgoLift hinge feature helps to improve your typing skills. VivoBook S15 comes with a 15.6-inch screen and is supported by 8th Generation Intel Core i5 Processor, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.
The only drawback is the unavailability of a port with Thunderbolt 3.
The device consists of two 2.0, a single USB 3.1, one Type-C and HDMI port. There is also a memory card slot and an earphone jack.
The 720p webcam gives sharp images without blurring out any details and is perfect for making video calls.
The 1080p display itself provides clear and sharp images. However, the colors lack vibrancy.
Along with having a sleek and lightweight design, this model is available in a variety of stunning color options like turquoise, bright yellow and green.
Asus is known for designing high performing budget laptops. However, this model is probably their best model yet based on the powerful processor and lag-free performance that this laptop offers.
- Different color options available
- Fingerprint reader for a safe access
- Light weight and portable
- Thin bezel monitor
- Travel friendly
- Dim display screen
- Short warranty life
- It does not support heavy gaming
Read More: 15 Best Gaming Laptop Under 600 Dollars
2. Microsoft Surface Laptop 3
- Clean, elegant design — Thin and light, starting at just...
- Choose from rich tone-on-tone color combinations: New...
- Improved speed and performance to do what you want, with the...
Surface 3 by Microsoft resembles Apple’s MacBook in terms of features, design and overall performance. However, this version is more portable and travel friendly.
- The smart PixelSense display gives more rich and vibrant images
- Comes with a Type-C port
- Bluetooth 5.0 for improved wireless connectivity
- It also has an Infrared (IR) webcam for identification.
- Comes with an optional dock port
This model is available in a variety of different color options. It also comes with a touch screen and is powered by Intel Core i7 processors.
This laptop has a sturdy and robust body. Therefore, unlike other compact laptops, this model is a bit heavy.
Despite being a little heavy, you can carry it around in your backpack with ease. The screen is not borderless. However, it does not affect your view while typing or streaming movies.
The smart PixelSense display gives more rich and vibrant images. However, the display is not backed by HDR and OLED technology.
This model also comes with its touchscreen pen.
Unlike other Surface models, this version also comes with a Type-C port. It also comes with a Surface Connect and an optional dock port.
There is also an Ethernet and 4 USB 3.0 and a Type-A, port. It also supports Bluetooth 5.0 for improved wireless connectivity.
Contrary to other mid-range Windows notebooks, this laptop does not come with too many additional features like security settings for built-in cam and watchband hinge.
Nevertheless, this laptop is perfect for those who prefer to use Windows-based products and services.
This model comes in two different screen sizes, i.e. 13.5 and 15 inches.
The exterior is made with Alcantara fabric which makes the overall design look more sleek and stylish.
- Lightweight and travel friendly
- Super smooth touch screen
- Comes with a Bluetooth 5.0 and Type-C port
- Infrared (IR) webcam
- Comes with the latest new PixelSense technology
- Limited battery life
- Does not support HDR or OLED technology
- Lacks borderless display
Must Read: 12 Best Chromebook Under 300 Dollars
3. Dell XPS 9570
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (9M Cache, up...
- 15.6'' 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge Touch display...
- 32GB DDR4-2666MHz, 2x16GB Memory | 1TB PCIe Solid State...
The Dell XPS 15 9570 comes with an 8th-gen Intel 6 Core i7-8750H chip. With an improved GPU, it is probably one of the fastest laptops of Dell’s XPS 15 series and one of the best laptops for architecture students. The borderless display accommodates a 15.6-inch widescreen. It weighs around 4 pounds and is equipped with super speed processors.
- Dell XPS 9750 comes with a 3840 x 2160 4K 15.6-inch widescreen display.
- A diverse color gamut allows the formation of different shades outside the system’s conventional panels.
- The anti-glare 400-nit monitor doesn’t put excessive strain on your eyes
- The IPS panel offers a broader viewing angle
- The laptop can be used without a mouse as it also comes with an additional touch screen option which is perfect for architecture students with limited desk space
The new Dell XPS 15 9570 is built with the latest six-core 8750H and 8th Gen Intel Core processors. The 4GB video memory and Max-Q design graphics card makes it easier for aspiring architects to create and store intricate designs with ease. It has a 32GB memory storage capacity and a high 2666 MHz processing speed.
With the Dell XPS 15 9570, you can have a professional laptop experience with a 15” screen space and a massive battery life of almost 20 hrs. As an undergraduate architect, you can connect multiple devices and your charger to the laptop using Thunderbolt 3 multi-use port.
The only thing that might make you think before buying this laptop is the inconvenient web camera position and low storage space, features which do seem to bother many of its satisfied users.
4. Microsoft Surface Book 2
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 Features a 8th generation Intel...
- Enhanced Graphics performance with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060...
- The fastest Surface Book yet, with 4x more power
Considered as one of the best laptops for architecture students, the Microsoft Surface Book 2 is a professional laptop equipped with cutting edge 8th generation processor and high-performance graphics applications. It serves as a laptop & tablet and functions as a complete architecture studio on your desk, making it one of the top laptops for architecture students.
- Core i7 Intel processor produces architectural designs quickly.
- Expansive 512 GB-1TB date storage for storing professional software and vibrant video, which is necessary for architecture students.
- 8-16 GB RAM
- Video time of 17 hours.
- Excellent graphics support through NVIDIA and GDDR5
- A wide 15-inch responsive touchscreen
- The versatile device with dual functionality, including laptop & tablet and multiple viewing modes.
- Lightweight; weighs only 4.2 lbs
- Aesthetic keyboard with backlit keypad
- Use your finger or touch pen on the touchscreen
- Additional accessories include a wireless mouse, surface dial and stylus
This laptop is made for design professionals, and that is evident in how it looks and works. With a large memory, it can host virtually any professional architectural program, as well as videos and applications you can think of.
It also has a powerful battery so you can comfortably work on your architecture designs and assignments for hours without worrying about overheating the machine. The Windows 10 OS is simply amazing and makes navigation and file management extremely simple.
It also has a powerful battery so you can comfortably work on your architecture designs and assignments for hours without worrying about overheating the machine. The Windows 10 OS is simply amazing and makes navigation and file management extremely simple.
5. New Apple MacBook Pro
- Ninth-generation 6-Core Intel Core i7 Processor
- Stunning 16-inch Retina Display with True Tone technology
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
Not only is the new Apple MacBook Pro, the most popular MacBook Apple has produced so far, but it is also the strongest in terms of performance and specifications. It is believed to be famous as one of the best laptops for architecture students.
With the help of the feedback and criticisms made on previous MacBook models, MacBook Pro has fixed almost all the drawbacks found in the previous versions. The new 16” MacBook Pro was launched at the end of 2019. The new version comes with improved scissor keyboard and speakers.
- The new MacBook Pro comes in 13” and 16” sizes
- It comes with a unique TrueTone screen display and touch screen
- T2 chip is available for improved security
- The new version comes with a new sophisticated magic keyboard
- 8th and 9th generation 6-Core Intel Core i7 Processor
The new AMD Radeon™ 5000M series graphic cards offer discrete 7nm mobile GPUs which is ideal for fast rendering. The 16” model is available in 64GB memory, which is perfect for extreme workloads. The 100Wh battery is probably the largest ever available in a MacBook pro.
The new MacBook Pro has a wide 16” Retina screen and a dynamic Pixel resolution. You can use it wirelessly for a maximum of 11 hours. The improved thermal architecture prevents the system from heating up. Therefore, this model is perfect for professional use, as it allows users to perform the most complex tasks anywhere and anytime.
6. ThinkPad E595
- 15.6-inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS 250nits Anti-glare...
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Quad-Core Processor, 2.10 GHz (up to 3.70...
- 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Ram, 256GB M.2 NVMe PCIe Solid State Drive
ThinkPad E595 is probably one of the best laptops for architecture students. It features a wide 15.6 inch display and is powered by AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Quad-Core processor. It consists of 8GB memory and 256GB SSD.
- Anti glare technology
- Multiple USB ports
- Comes with a standard brand warranty
- Is simple to set up
- Portable and travel friendly device
Lenovo ThinkPad comes with an anti-glare feature which prevents excessive strain from eyes. It supports Radeon Vega 8 Graphics card and is perfect for using heavy designing programs and software.
It features various USB ports including a USB 2.0 and along with USB 3.1 and USB 3.2 port. It also comes with an HDMI port, an earphone/microphone jack and a slot for using microSD card .
This laptop comes with one year standard brand warranty and is super simple to assemble.
This laptop comes with a wide keyboard but isn’t backlit. However, the keys are super smooth to press and type with.
Another great feature of this laptop is its portability. It is light and travel friendly. You can easily carry it in your backpack and travel with it while visiting various sites.
It even comes with a built in camera which is perfect for everyday use as well. Unlike some of the best laptops for architecture students, this laptop may not be the best for using online collaborative applications such as Zoom due to its camera low resolution.
This laptop comes with a powerful processor and is perfect for designers and architects who wish to invest in some of the best laptops for architecture students. It is a perfect laptop for professional use as it comes with enough storage space to store heavy files and software.
- Large storage capacity
- Eye protection monitor
- Sleek and compact body
- One year product warranty
- Wide keyboard
- Lacks a backlit keyboard
- Short battery life
- Low quality webcam
7. MSI WE63 8SJ-235
- Display: 15.6" FHD (1920*1080), wide view 94%NTSC color...
- Processor: New Intel 8th Gen Core i7-8750H Hexa Core (6...
- Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P2000 4GB DDR5
This laptop comes with an ultra-fast 8th Generation Intel Core i7 processor. It gives you optimum performance; this laptop makes working easy from anywhere, anytime. It works on Windows 10 Pro OS. It has included a 32 GB memory 512 GB SSD. Users can also add SSD and RAM externally to increase processing and storage capacity.
It also has included a highly sophisticated fingerprint reader making it more user-friendly. The laptop has silent thermal fans, so you can use it for hours for completing your architecture projects without worrying about overheating the laptop. These features allow you to deliver your best in the field of architecture.
- It is 40% faster than the Intel 7th Generation processors
- Offers high quality 1920 x 1080 p resolution
- Comes with fingerprint reader making it user-friendly
- Comes with the latest NVIDIA PASCAL QUADRO GPUS
- It provides high-end 4K UHD entertainment
- Comes with a 4GB graphics card for architectural drawings and maps
It has included a 32 GB memory 512 GB SSD. It also has included a highly sophisticated fingerprint reader making it more user-friendly. These features allow you to deliver your best in the field of architecture.
This ultra-fast high-performing laptop makes work easy while on the go. With loads of memory and storage space, this laptop is ideal for students who need heavy software for drafting, etc. It provides the ultimate experience in entertainment with crisp visuals.
8. Dell Inspiron i7559-763BLK
- Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz Quad-Core (6M Cache, Turbo up to 3.2...
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
- 8 GB DDR3L / 256 GB Solid-State Drive
The Dell Inspiron i7559 comes with the super-fast 6th generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processors. The system’s internal memory space is 8GB and 256GB SSD for storage. For architecture students, this is one of the best laptops for use on campus and at home.
It comes with a strong set of solid-state devices that minimize the loss of data storage. Given that you may need to work for long hours looking at your laptop screen, this laptop comes with a special FHD glare minimizing feature and wide-angle resolution.
- Offers speedy boot technology which enables users to open their applications in less time as compared to other models
- Protects sensitive files and folders against potential drops
- Consumes less power and has a long battery life
- Doesn’t produce any noise and is lightweight than standard laptops
- Offers rich media for videos, design software and games
- Comes in three different colors
- Windows 10 operating system
This laptop is quite versatile, and you can practically do everything on it. It is also great value for money as it can last for long. The plastic body makes it light enough to carry comfortably on the campus or while commuting.
It also supports Wi-Fi pretty nicely, so you can continue working on your assignments while hanging out with friends at a mall or café. The thermal architecture keeps the system cool and allows users to use it for several hours with the same efficiency and speed.
This super fast laptop has a long-lasting battery, providing excellent efficiency for architectural students. This versatile laptop comes with an i5 processor, is light in weight, convenient to use, and makes no noise.
9. Acer Aspire 5
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5 8265U Processor (Up to 3.9GHz)...
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED backlit IPS...
- 1 USB 3.1 Type C Gen 1 port, 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (one with...
For someone who is studying architecture, you need a powerful laptop that can support complex processing while also being an everyday computer for regular tasks. The Aspire 5 comes with a comprehensive 15 inch HD IPS display where you can perform various tasks on a single screen.
From mundane tasks like logging into your college LMS to tracking assignments and designing floor plans, this laptop can do everything. The laptop’s narrow bezel provides additional space and is perfect for carrying around at work, home, etc.
- The laptop has a 9.5-hour long battery life
- The sleek Acer Color Intelligence display prevents digital eye strain
- Its smart speaker design promises a deeper bass and better volume
- It has a bright LED-backlit display
- The super-thin bezel display helps to maintain focus and concentration on the elements of your screen
Robust and compact, the Aspire 5 is a perfect laptop for your everyday use. It makes an excellent first laptop for any architecture student, as well as a low-cost alternative to fancier models on the market. It is extremely easy to set up, and most components can be upgraded without any hassle.
With an eighth-generation 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processor and Nvidia GeForce MX250 graphics card, this laptop is ideal for professionals who work from home or are freelance architects. In terms of price, speed, cooling, lighting, resolution, memory, and portability, this is one of the best laptops for architecture students.
The laptop is precisely engineered, keeping designing and architect graduates in mind. It has a sleek and compact design, massive memory and storage space; it is easy to use and can easily download videos, various apps, and even operate heavy software needed by architects.
10. Omen by HP
- Play the latest games, including Fortnight, PUBG, and...
- 8th Generation intel(r) core(tm) i7-8750H Processor, 6-Core,...
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5 dedicated). VR Ready....
HP’s Omen is probably one of the best laptops for those who want to use a single laptop for multiple tasks, including college work and entertainment. It is powered by a high performance 8th Gen processor with 6 core technology.
The Nvidia system makes for a highly interactive system that supports superior graphics software. A backlit keyboard is helpful when working in dim lighting conditions. The only drawback of HP’s Omen is probably its short battery life.
- The base configuration of the system comprises of an Intel Core i7-7700HQ,
- 16GB RAM which satisfies most architectural applications
- 1080p IPS screen for convenient display without causing eye strain
- Omen has a sleek 4.8-pound light body which is easy to carry around in a student’s bag
- Vibrant HD display with NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti graphics
- 15 different ports make it easy for students to use multiple multimedia applications on their laptop
This laptop offers exceptional functionality for the architecture student in terms of processing speed, graphics quality, and portability. You can complement the experience by adding quality accessories like a curved monitor, reactor mouse, and mouse pad for more excellent convenience.
The Omen Command Center screens the CPU, RAM, graphics processing, unit as well as the network speeds. The network bandwidth can be viewed on the Network Booster. The lighting tab is used to manage the entire keyboard lighting.
Unlike other significant laptops that come under the same price range, Omen has a chunky plastic body instead of having an aluminum one. The systems consist of the following performance settings:
- Comfort mode
- Default or standard mode
- Performance mode
The conventional black and white keyboard can be customized with a four-dimensional RGB lighting system.
11. Dell Precision 7730
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified...
- Intel Core i9-8950HK, Six Core 2.90GHz, 4.80GHz Turbo, 12MB...
- 32GB DDR4 Memory,4X8GB,2666,Non-ECC,SoDIMM
If you are looking for a top-performing laptop in the student category, then Dell Precision 7730 might be what you need. Slightly more expensive than conventional laptops, this model offers all the bells and whistles that you need to maximize your productivity as an architecture student.
It has a super-fast processor, fantastic design, and graphics that let you create the most beautiful designs to scale. It is simply the best laptop out there in terms of how it displays color so that you can produce the most attractive and alluring designs.
The Precision 7730 comes with an Intel® Core™ i9-8950HK Processor and a 32GB RAM. The Nvidia Quadro P5200 graphics card, when paired with 16GB GDDR5, allows users to run graphics-intensive software at optimum settings. Its 17” full HD display is perfect for using multimedia applications. The dynamic 4K panel makes the colors appear bright and vibrant.
- Comes with multiple configuration options for customization
- Offers a total of four 2TB SSDs and four 32GB RAM slots
- RAID configurations can also be customized
- The keyboard can be converted to a backlit one
- The 64Wh battery can be boosted to 97Wh
Although The Precision 7730 is not a budget laptop, however, its smooth performance and vibrant 4K display make it a good option for those engineers and architects who prefer functionality, durability, and features above all. The low battery life and below-average heat system are the two major drawbacks of the machine.
Also, a lot of people might find the price to be high. However, the laptop truly justifies the high price with powerful performance and sleek design.
12. Lenovo ThinkPad P50
- Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 Quad-Core Processor (4 cores, 2.8 GHz...
- Nvidia Quadro M2000M 4GB GDDR5 | 256 GB SSD M.2 Opal2 | 16GB...
- 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) IPS | Backlit Keys | FingerPrint...
Those who value performance over portability can consider buying Lenovo’s ThinkPad P50. Equipped with a powerful Windows workstation that can handle heavy software and applications, this ThinkPad is probably one of the best options available for designers and architects for using regularly.
For a machine within the P50 range, the GPU is pretty advanced, which makes this a highly desirable machine. The best thing about this machine is its top performance and long battery life.
- With a strong GPU, ThinkPad P50 can be used for professional CAD software and video editing.
- User-friendly keyboard featuring an ergonomic design
- Cleared for durability by the MIL-STD 810G test
- Convenient touchpad measuring 3.9 by 2.1 inches
- Has a vibrant 3840 x 2160 HD video display
- The sturdy aluminum base can withstand against extreme temperatures
- The ThinkPad is also equipped with a color calibrator which can be used to adjust the screen settings
One of the best laptops for architecture students, the Lenovo ThinkPad P50, is perfect for architects who work on various graphics-intensive projects such as 3D modeling or need to install heavy designing software.
Powered by Intel® Xeon® processors and NVIDIA® Quadro, this robust 15.6” ThinkPad has enough space to install heavy architecture software with ease. Although this ThinkPad is quite heavy, however, it is still possible to carry it from home to work and vice versa.
Lenovo’s ThinkPad P50 offers a high-level workstation performance to users with affordability. It comes with a sleek keyboard and has an 8-hour long battery life. What works for this laptop is that you can take it to campus and survive the whole day without needing an external power bank.
13. HP ZBook 15
It would be a gross understatement to call the HP ZBook 15, just a laptop or notebook. This impressive machine is a complete workstation that you can carry around to the campus, workplace, or home. Yes, it is expensive and large, but it gives you performance for years without any trouble.
The HP ZBook 15 is a powerful laptop that gives high-quality performance and long battery life, which can be easily modified.
- Compatible with design software like Creative Professional
- Fitted with Core i7
- 16GB to 512 GB RAM plus DDR4 RAM
- Impressive screen resolution of 1920 by 1080
- NVIDIA graphics card
- The device’s chassis can be modified
- Comes with a fingerprint scanner
- It has a sleek black body
- Sleek aluminum casing which makes it sturdy and durable
- The optical drive is replaceable
- The keyboard is backlit, and spill-resistant
The 15.6” ZBook by HP is designed for professional use as it can handle corporate level computing tasks. It amalgamates the Intel Core i7 processor with NVIDIA Quadro to provide vibrant visuals and graphics. The 16GB RAM and Thunderbolt dock offer quick data transfers.
The 15.6” ZBook by HP gives better performance than other similar laptops that comes under the same price range. It has a smooth matte HD display. Thunderbolt connectivity offers speed and accuracy for data transferring. A fingerprint scanner provides added security. If you have a bigger budget, this is simply one of the best laptops for architecture students.
14. Acer Aspire E 15
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-lit IPS Display
- 8GB Dual Channel Memory & 256GB SSD
The E Series of this laptop is extremely user-friendly with unique features and designs. A fast performing laptop, this model comes with a Windows 10 OS, an 802.11ac wireless featuring advanced technology of MU-MIMO with battery lasting up to 15 hours. It also has a dedicated graphics card of 2GB. Weighing exactly 5.27 pounds, it has a clean surface with an ultra-smooth finishing giving it a premium look.
- With its 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5 processor of 8th generation, this laptop allows you to experience ultra-fast speed and excellent performance
- NVIDIA graphics card lets you work on any architecture and design applications recommended in your course
- 1920 by 1080 screen display is the standard for design applications
- It gives you a solid and reliable internet connection plus speed as well with the new 802.11 ac wireless Wi-Fi. It makes work and entertainment easy as you are on the go.
- Windows 10 operating system makes data processing and organization a simple task
Dependable and reliable, this laptop provides you quick speed, excellent audio, and bass range with uniquely designed speakers. For those working with design and architecture applications, the device is equally useful. Battery life is good, and it can last for a good 7-8 hours before needing a recharge.
Aesthetically attractive and appealing, this is one of the best laptops for architecture students that provides you smooth gaming experience and more dependable internet connectivity.
All in all, this laptop is excellent and dependable in terms of performance. Supreme quality speakers, massive battery life of 15 hours, this ultra-slim and lightweight is all you could ask for a young architect.
15. ASUS VivoBook
- Powerful 8th Generation Intel Core i5 8250U 1.6GHz (Turbo up...
- 14.2 Inches Wide, 0.8 Inches Thin and portable footprint...
- 15.6 inches Anti glare full HD display with ASUS splendid...
Weighing only 3.7 lbs, the dimensions of this remarkable laptop are 14.2×9.6×0.8 inches. Immensely light and compact, it has Windows 10 Home OS and a battery life of around 5 hours. It has an integrated graphics card with RAM of 8 GB DDR4. Also included is a 1000 GB mechanical hard drive.
The keyboard comes with a fingerprint sensor, making it even more user-friendly. It comes with an anti-glare full HD display screen of 15.6 inches. It works on an Intel i5 8th Generation processor of 1.6 GHz.
- ASUS VivoBook comes with a 15.6-inch screen showing you stunning visuals
- Ergonomic Chiclet keyboard
- High-end fingerprint sensor
- 8 GB DDR4 RAM plus 1 TB HDD
- Super-fast 802.11 AC Wi-Fi connection
In terms of performance, this laptop is a dream come true for new architects. Fast and speedy internet connectivity makes it easy to use while on the go. With 2 USB 2.0 ports and 1 USB 3.0 port, you can easily connect your devices.
It boots up in no time, and there are hardly any hurdles in its operations. Whether you want to create a simple text document or detailed maps and floor plans, this machine will never let you down.
In short, it can be said that this ultra-compact and lightweight is quite a decent choice and is excellent value for money. Quick to boot and super-fast with excellent internet connectivity as well as super-sharp visuals, this laptop is all that you can ask for as an aspiring architect. Despite a couple of flaws here and there, it is something we recommend, and most of all, it has an excellent price tag.
Now that you know pretty much how the top 12 laptops for architecture students stack up against each other, here is how you can decide which one works best for you. Here are eight simple steps you can follow to purchase a laptop that combines your desired functionality, appearance, and price range.
- Operating system
The most critical question is which operating system you need. There are Chrome, Windows, and Mac versions available, so you need to know whether your laptop supports the OS you want.
The choice of OS is determined by the applications you need to run on the computer since not every OS will support all your required design applications.
- Standard or hybrid?
The next thing to consider is how you are going to use your laptop. Depending on that, you need to answer the question of whether you will be using it mostly at home, on a desk, at the campus or while having coffee in a café or sitting on the grass.
You can then think about whether you want just a typical laptop or one that serves as a tablet as well. Screens that can bend back or detach are luxuries that you should invest in only if you need them.
Size is important. Consider your available space, how frequently and extensively you travel, and how organized you like to be. Laptops begin from 11 inches and can go up to 18 inches.
Larger sizes will suit you if you plan on using the system for long hours and for creating detailed designs. Smaller screens will be easy to manage but will create a strain on your eyes.
- Input features
Now, it is time to think of which input devices you need for your laptop. Of course, as a future architect, most of your work will involve a mouse or stylus rather than a keyboard. Nonetheless, an ergonomic keyboard is a must-have for typing out those reports and mid-terms, especially in your first year.
The touchpad should be highly precise so that your cursor does not go crazy all over the screen. Actions like pinching and zooming should work well without any fuss.
- Define the specs
Specs might be the most technical aspect of this buying guide. The technical specs of your laptop have the most prolong impact on its productivity. It means you need to think long and hard about what kind of processing speed you need, hard drive capacity, RAM storage, and, most importantly, graphics support.
Browse online, speak with your peers, or discuss with your professor which specifications would work out for you as a first-year architecture student.
- Battery duration
Keep in mind that you will be carrying your laptop to college, use it in your classroom, lab, or on the campus grounds, then walk over to the coffee shop before finally returning home to work on your assignments. Battery life is critical to ensure that your laptop works when and where you need it.
Aim for at least 7 hours of battery life. The more applications and processing speed you have, the less the duration of a battery. Be prepared to make this tradeoff.
By this time, you’ve narrowed down to at least 2-3 models that suit your needs. Now, the most critical aspect is the budget. A laptop can cost you anywhere from $150 to more than $1000. The price also differs if you are going for an old laptop, but remember that you might need to have it checked by someone.
Warranty is another thing you need to check with your dealer. Also, find out if you can avail some kind of student loan to get a laptop on installments. That might move up your range somewhat.
Finally, decide which brand or manufacturer you want to purchase from. Is it a brand you can trust and rely on? What kind of dealer network and customer support do they offer? What do online reviewers and experts have to say about the brand? All of this goes into deciding which brand will work best for you.
What laptop should architecture students use?
Architecture students should use laptops with high processing power and high RAM because architecture applications like AutoCAD require high processing power.
What is the best laptop for architecture programs?
There are different laptops available in the market for architectures. However, the best laptops are Microsoft surface 3, Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 2, and Dell precision 7540.
Is i5 good for architecture?
Yes, core i5 processor is good for architecture students. Core i5 processor combined with higher RAM can deliver great results.
Which Apple laptop is best for architecture students?
There are different MacBook’s by Apple are available in the market. MacBook pro 13 and MacBook pro 16” are the best for architecture students.
How much RAM do I need for AutoCAD?
The minimum RAM requirement for AutoCAD is 4 GB. However, to enhance your AutoCAD operation you should use 8 GB RAM.
Is MacBook air good for architecture?
MacBook air is not so good for architecture because it won’t run AutoCAD. Moreover, the it comes with the storage of 500 GB which is not enough for professionals.
How much RAM do I need for architecture?
RAM enhances your working experience. It is recommended that you should laptop or PC with 4 GB or higher RAM.
To Wrap Up
The field of architecture is making significant progress, which can be seen in the eye-catching and breathtaking construction we see all around us. Be it football stadiums, corporate towers or residential complexes, cutting edge architecture is all around us. To develop the skills to make such amazing designs, architecture students need a well-functioning laptop that supports specialized architecture design programs and software.
From CAD to virtual reality, the architecture student’s laptop is nothing less than a wizard’s case that can bring up one amazing design after the other. In this article, we reviewed the 12 most popular laptops for architecture students, so that you know about the best laptops for architecture students so that you can select the right combination of disk storage, RAM, processing speed, display features, graphics support, application support and operating system.